TMJ pain and symptoms may need to be checked by more than one medical specialist, such as your primary care provider, a dentist, or an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctor, depending on your symptoms. Some dentists specialize in TMJ diagnosis and treatment.
A thorough examination may involve:
- *A dental examination to show if you have poor bite alignment
- *Feeling the joint and connecting muscles for tenderness
- *Pressing around the head for areas that are sensitive or painful
- *Sliding the teeth from side to side
- *Watching, feeling, and listening to the jaw open and shut
- *X-rays to show abnormalities
In some cases, the results of the physical exam may appear normal.